Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Superman: The Man of Steel



        
                There have been many interpretations of the character Superman, each carries the core elements of what makes Superman who he is, but with slight twist to keep the character fresh to whatever generation of fans the writers are trying to appeal to. I was introduced to Superman the same way I was with Batman which was in animated form when i was a kid during the 90s.

                I didn't see the first two Superman movies that starred Christopher Reeves until i was in my teen years and even though at the time they were made, they lacked the visual effects my generation grew up with, they still were fun to watch and the characters were acted, where you believed an all powerful being like Superman could still have human emotions and relate to the world around us.

                 My real love of Superman was brought upon watching the live action TV series Smallville, which was a natural step up for me after watching the animated series for awhile. Smallville much like the film Batman Begins, showed Superman's origins in his home town of Smallville where he battled various super powered enemies and dealt with normal teenage trials, all while trying to fulfill his life's journey of becoming Earth's greatest hero.

                 The most recent interpretation of Superman was the film Superman Returns that was released in 2006 which was not a terrible film in my opinion, it still did not hold up enough value for the critics and made less money then expected. So like most potential franchises that don't sore as high as their makers would have liked, there is another Superman movie to be released in 2012 and this time it's going to be a complete reboot, other than Superman Returns which was a sequel to the Christopher Reeves films and is going to be directed by Zack Snyder (300,Watchmen).
                 
                 Superman has been around for 70+ years, even longer than Batman for that matter and as long as there is film, television and video games, Superman will be around I expect for another 70+ years and why not? he's awesome.

                  Thanks for checking out this posting and please share whatever thoughts you may have on this topic or anything related to it, come again!
                 


          

3 comments:

  1. I'm a bit under the weather today, but I'll say a few things. I love Superman. Just like you, I was introduced through Smallville. That's what began my love of everything DC.

    Not sure if I'm looking forward to another Supes movie, I rather enjoyed Superman Returns in the theater. I am however looking forward to that Green Lantern movie. After playing a lot of DC Universe Online I'm more aware of the character and can't wait to see him on the big screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Rob I'm looking forward to Green Lantern as well. Hopefully once they make superman and the other DC superhero tentpoles, they'll make a Justice League film, that would be epic.

    ReplyDelete